5/6/15

WHAT WE EAT: CHICKEN TACOS

Trenton served an LDS Mission in Mexico so he loves authentic mexican food. He would probably bathe in lime juice if he could. Okay that's kind of gross, hehe! Anyway, I grew up eating ground beef in flour tortillas and I love that style of taco but that isn't Trenton's favorite so one day I decided I was going to make something more authentic for him. I searched all different recipes and consulted Trenton on the traditional flavors that he felt should be included and then we made our own version of Authentic Mexican tacos. I was very happy when Trenton said it was exactly what an authentic taco tastes like in Mexico. (I'm sure there are many variations of tacos in Mexico, but this is our version of Authentic!)

I have invited nearly everyone over for these but some friends and family have asked for the recipe and I have slacked at getting it online somewhere - so here it is!


TRENTON & RANDI'S AUTHENTIC CHICKEN TACOS
SERVES 4

INGREDIENTS:
4 Chicken Breasts - both sides rubbed with spice rub
12 Corn Tortillas - fried in coconut oil
1 Avocado -Cubed
1/2 bunch of cilantro
2 limes
Sour Cream
Pico De Gillo (See Recipe Below)
Spice Rub (See Recipe Below)
Coconut Oil

DIRECTIONS:
First rub the Chicken generously with Rub and place it on the Grill.  Make the Pico De Gallo and refrigerate. Chop Cilantro to preferred size for garnish and Cube avocado. Slice limes into quarters.
Heat about two tablespoons of coconut oil in a deep pan on medium heat for about two minutes. Place corn tortillas in the hot oil and flip when bubbly and cook til edges are crisp.
Drain tortillas on a paper towel. Remove chicken from the grill and cube. 

TO SERVE:
Layer a corn tortilla with sour cream, chicken, pic de gallo, cilantro and avocado - then squirt generously with lime. We serve our tacos with fresh corn and fruit. Enjoy! 


*Pico De Gallo Recipe*
2-3 Roma Tomatoes
3/4 Onion
1/2 bunch of Cilantro (Approximately)
The juice of one lime
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Chop first three ingredient and toss together, squeeze in lime juice and add salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. 

*Chicken Spice Rub Recipe*
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
Mix together. You can make this in equal proportions at any amount. I made lots and keep in a jar on hand.

Note: This recipe is very flexible. You can half the recipe or double the recipe - just customize it for your family! I'm no chef so hopefully I didn't miss anything! Let me know if you have any questions! I hope you enjoy these tacos as much as we do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment