5/4/15

MONTESSORI AT HOME

For us, the first step to integrating school into our home is introducing Montessori methods. I have been reading the book "The Montessori Method" and learning the "why," "what," and "how" and as I read more I slowly introduce more of Maria's methods into our home.

I love love love the idea of Montessori for so many reasons.

My neighbor first introduced us to the word Montessori when she told us about a pre-school she was assisting at. The school needed some plumbing work so she introduced Trenton (my husband) to the teacher and he started doing work for them and they offered a trade for schooling for our son who was 2 1/2 at the time.
I remember dropping my son off each day and honestly feeling a burning in my chest. I didn't know at that time why I felt so much love and goodness radiating from that little school and I didn't recognize that I was also feeling the holy ghost within me. It may sound silly but I know with my heart that that was the holy spirit confirming to me that this school was right for my son and maybe he was trying to tell me even more but I didn't know it yet. As J is about to finish his second year at his Montessori preschool, I now know why I was feeling such a sense of surety about this school (besides the fact that his teachers are honestly amazing people.)

I know that the Montessori Methods are good.

Montessori teaches children to be independent and to learn for a sense of self assurance not acknowledgement from others. Montessori methods use the rule "freedom within limits" in order to empower children to choose what they are interested in learning and take action by their own doing. Montessori teaching is based around kindness, communication, respect, organization, love, and passion for learning. I feel as though this how I have always felt learning should be and it's always been the way my brain was wired but I didn't know this existed.

So, as we prepare to start our first official year of homeschooling, we are integrating systems from Maria's book.
The first thing we have started doing is making meal time more of an independent activity. My 4-year old and 2-year old both scoop their own yogurt, or cereal and pour their own milk or add granola or fruit. If they want a banana, the 4-year old peels it and slices it. On the bottom shelf of our pantry there are many items that are accessible to them in order to assist them in independently feeding themselves. We moved a little table we had in their bedroom to the kitchen so they can set their own table and sit down to eat. I love how excited my little ones get about doing these things themselves. It can require some patience at first - for instance, my 2-year old still spills quite a bit - but it is so worth it to encourage their independence and see them blossom!


We also have incorporated certain methods into other rooms of the house. In the boys room, the shoes are now down low and organized according to child and they have the ability to choose their own shoes and put them on. Then, when they take them off, they can return them to their proper spots. We have always been somewhat organized people so some of the Montessori ways such as having a place for everything was already existent in our home. There has always been specific spots for certain toys and books and the boys know where everything goes.

I've found that after I decided to homeschool, it's as if my mind has been opened to a completely new way of thinking. Rather than doing everything for my children, I try to be more patient and let them learn and succeed at doing things for themselves. Also when they ask to help, I try to let them in on what I a doing and tell them about the process so that they can learn to do it for themselves (cooking, folding laundry, etc.) Everything is an opportunity to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment